Saturday, October 23, 2010

Is it common to get a yeast infection after Mirena IUD ? Was also on antibiotic for mirena.?

I had Mirena placed on February 6 and they put my on antibiotic for 3 days to reduce chance for infection. Just yesterday I started being really itchy and now I looked down there and it is really red and swollen in some areas. Do you think I have yeast infection? I had one before but it was a long time ago but I think this is what it felt like. Any serious suggestions. I just called my PCP and got a Difucan pill. What are your opinions or ideas????Is it common to get a yeast infection after Mirena IUD ? Was also on antibiotic for mirena.?
The most likely culprit is the antibiotics. Most antibiotics are broad spectrum, meaning they don't discriminate on the kind of bacteria they kill. Pack in some extra yogurt to restabalzie the bacteria in your stomach, and lots of yogurt (consumed) has shown to help stabalize the bacteria in your girly parts.
It wont be the mirena that has given you the yeast infection. The most likely culprit is going to be the antibiotics. Diflucan should do the trick however for the external itching you can buy canesten ( clotrimazole 1%) over the counter and apply it to the external lips.
I agree with the other two answers you got. The antibiotic did it to you. I have had Mirena for over 7 months now and haven't gotten a yeast infection. My Dr didn't put me on antibiotics when I had it placed.
According to your description,this Yeast Infection site can help you:

No comments:

Post a Comment